Sunday, March 29, 2009

Earth Hour

Earth hour was a normal hour for me before this year. But being in a metro,I was made aware of this particular hour by radio. I hadn't decided to shut off the lights for this particular hour, but suddenly at eight thirty something in me said that I should be the part of a bigger picture. I was feeling like to make a difference,however small it should be. So,I switched off the lights and fans,and asked my friends to do the same.
Rather I decided to celebrate this hour by sitting in darkness. I even denied tea offered to me by my friends,as it used non-renewable form of energy and in spite of the fact that weather was excellent yesterday I denied to go on the terrace too,because I didn't wanted to use lift.
That one hour of darkness made me realize the importance of this initiative. It made me realize what would happen if someday light would go like this and why we should start saving light. So,in a way at this hour,we were expected to remain in darkness and to realize the importance of energy.
In a way it was also a way to check our perseverance.As it's rightly said,"He conquers who endures. ~Persius" .So,this hour also demanded some level of perseverance for making this initiative a success(That's why the government didn't forced this hour on us).
It's not easy you see to sit in darkness for an hour knowing that you can switch on the lights and that time I also realized how difficult it would have been for our Shwetambar Gurus to sit idle and just to think.I deliberately added this Shwetambar stuff so as to make a thoughtful link between perseverance and how it can lead us to a better way of life and how the importance of "perseverance" was thought of by our Sadhus long ago.
Overall that hour proved an asset to me,making me aware of the importance of ,"perseverance"& off course consequences "No Light".

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
template by suckmylolly.com